Wallpaper removal and replacements are tasks that almost everyone can do. Unfortunately, not everyone has the skills and experience in order to remove and replace wallpaper with little to no problems. In order to remove and install wallpaper properly, a lot of us would need to hire professional wallpaper removal services, which are effective in getting rid of old wallpaper and replacing it with a new one to make the client’s home look brand new.
Many homes today have wallpaper, as it is one of the best decorations that homeowners can get to elevate the aesthetics or looks of their house. While wallpaper installation is cost-efficient and can save time compared to painting, the wallpaper can be a hassle once you need to replace it after it gets damaged. Fortunately, dozens of companies like Custom Painting, Inc. already offer wallpaper removal services. So, what do professionals use for removing and replacing wallpaper? We will find out as we take a look at the guide to wallpaper removal and replacement.
Wallpaper Removal and Replacement Preparations
In order to make the removal and replacement process for wallpaper efficient, professionals would have to make preparations. Here are the steps in preparing for wallpaper removal and replacement.
- Gathering of needed tools and materials – the first step in preparing for wallpaper removal and replacement is to gather the needed tools and materials for the project. These tools are needed for professionals to remove and install wallpaper easily.
- Preparing the workspace – the next step is to prepare the workspace in a way that the professionals won’t damage anything near the walls. To prevent damage and issues, professionals may need to remove furniture and fixtures in the workspace, and they may also need to put drop cloths on the floor to prevent adhesive or paint stains.
- Safety precautions – to make the workspace safe for the professionals and for the people living in the house, safety precautions are always followed. For professionals, appropriate clothing should be worn to avoid injuries and wounds, and proper ventilation should be provided to prevent respiratory problems that can affect the professionals and the residents.
There are several steps that professionals need to follow to remove wallpaper properly. Check out below to learn more about these steps in wallpaper removal.
- Identify the type of wallpaper – the professionals would first need to identify the type of wallpaper that they will remove. Different types of wallpaper can be difficult or easy to remove depending on the materials used to make them and stick them to the wall, with one of the most common being vinyl.
- Test a small part of the wallpaper – before you begin removing the wallpaper in a room, professionals would first need to test a small part or section of the wallpaper to determine its adhesiveness and how difficult the wallpaper is to remove from the surface of the wall.
- Peeling and scraping techniques – after a section of the wallpaper is tested, the professionals can then apply the appropriate techniques to remove the wallpaper, which includes peeling off and scraping the wallpaper using a scraper and stripper.
- Using the steam removal method – if scraping and peeling aren’t enough to get rid of stubborn wallpaper, professionals will use the steam removal method, which involves the utilization of hot steam that can liquefy the glue or adhesive that binds the wallpaper with the surface of the wall. After the adhesive is liquefied, it will be much easier for the professionals to peel off the wallpaper.
- Sanding and priming the surface – once the wallpaper is removed, the painters would then start sanding and priming the surface of the wall so that it can be ready for a new sheet of wallpaper or a fresh coat of paint. Sanding the surface helps remove the bumps on the walls, while priming can help make the wallpaper stick better on the wall or the paint adhere better to the surface.
Installing New Wallpaper
Installing new sheets of wallpaper on the walls of the residential property is an entirely different process from wallpaper removal, as it involves different steps, tools, and materials. Read more below to learn about the steps that professionals need to take when installing new wallpaper.
Preparing the Surface for New Wallpaper
- Cleaning and smoothing the walls – to make the wallpaper adhere better to the wall’s surface, the surface must first be cleaned and smoothed out. Cleaning tools and products are essential in getting rid of dirt, mud, grime, and other particles that stick to the surface of the walls, while a sander is needed to smooth out the walls and make them flatter while also getting rid of bumps or scratches on the surface.
- Measuring and cutting wallpaper – the next step in the process is to measure and cut the wallpaper so that it will fit well on the walls. This step can also prevent too much excess wallpaper that professionals will have to trim or cut. The process of cutting the wallpaper into separate sheets or pieces is also important so that professionals can carefully apply the sheets one by one instead of applying the wallpaper in one go, which can create problems with the surface of the wallpaper, like scratches, wrinkles, and bubbles.
- Preparing the adhesive – in order for the wallpaper to stick well to the surface of the walls, professionals will need to prepare the adhesive. There are adhesive products that are specifically made for applying wallpaper on various kinds of surfaces. Still, professionals use the best and highest quality adhesives to ensure the wallpaper sticks to the wall for years.
Installation Process for New Wallpaper
- Hanging the first strip – for installing the wallpaper, a professional will typically use a plumb line to determine how straight the wall is or if it is at an angle. The plumb line is a tool created using a string and a cone-shaped weight hanging on the string. After the angle or the wall’s vertical is determined, professionals will know how to install the wallpaper at the correct angle so that it would look much more appealing.
- Hanging subsequent strips – once the first strip is applied onto the wall, the subsequent strips or sheets will then be applied. The first strip would indicate where the pattern will start and where they should be connected to avoid misaligned patterns.
- Smoothing out the wallpaper – after the wallpaper is applied, it would then be smoothed out using a wallpaper flattener, which is a tool that can remove air bubbles and wrinkles on the wallpaper.
- Trimming excess wallpaper – there would sometimes be instances where excess wallpaper is added despite the professionals measuring the wall and the wallpaper beforehand. Fortunately, trimming excess wallpaper is relatively easy, as professionals can simply use a utility knife or trimmer to cut the excess pieces of wallpaper.
Benefits of Hiring Professional Wallpaper Removal Services
Wallpaper removal and replacement can be accomplished by anyone, but only professionals are able to do these tasks with speed and efficiency. So, instead of removing and replacing wallpaper in your home on your own, it would be better to hire wallpaper removal experts. Here are the benefits of hiring professional wallpaper removal services.
- Professionals have skills and experience – professionals have plenty of skills and experience when it comes to wallpaper removal and replacements, so they have fewer chances of making mistakes during the removal or installation process. These professionals ensure that they are accomplishing the project efficiently while ensuring that the project will be finished on time.
- Professionals use the right tools and equipment – to finish projects with ease, professionals use the right tools and equipment for the job. The tools and pieces of equipment that they utilize are durable and reliable, which can then help make the job easier and faster for the professionals.
- Professionals can help you save time and money – professionals can help you save a lot of time and money by simply removing and replacing the wallpaper of your home with care and efficiency. They can save you time since you don’t have to do the project on your own, and they will also do the project on time without overextending. Then, they can save you money since the wallpaper they install can last for years, making you spend less on replacing the wallpaper regularly.
Wallpaper removal and replacements should always be done by experts or professionals who have a lot of knowledge, skills, and experience. Here at Custom Painting, Inc., we offer an excellent wallpaper removal and replacement service that is done by professionals with years of experience and plenty of skills in removing and installing wallpaper.
In addition to wallpaper removal and replacement, Custom Painting, Inc. also offers other services, such as exterior painting, interior painting, wood staining, and acoustic ceiling removal. If you live in the Pleasanton area of California, you can contact us at 925-294-8062 or fill out this form for appointments.